Tanya of cornbreadandhoneys beautiful colorways. Two Grey Hills Navajo Rugs. Dyes from native plants offer a special source of satisfaction and beauty. Her Instagram profile shows all her colorways, shop updates, and some fun behind the scenes looks at her business. Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: Detailed information can be found in Etsys Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy and our Privacy Policy. She has a Jane Austen's heroine yarn club with Jane and Emma and tons of other amazing heroines as well as her yarn updates and examples of her yarn in knitting projects on her Instagram profile and her website. Chief Blanket Rugs Her Instagram profile is full of these beautiful yarns and fun projects like a recent gorgeous quilt and knitting and crochet projects. They are gorgeous in color and lovely in final products, many of which can be seen on her Instagram profile, where she also has shop updates, yarn reveals and other announcements. 100 - Hanna of rosehipchick from Australia calls herself a Swede in Tasmania and has a podcast, Rose Hip Knits, on Youtube. After the tutorial there is a list of crochet patterns you can go to when you want to make something using your new found knowledge of the Camel Crochet Stitch. The effect is gentle, but if page refreshes are disruptive for you, try the Find a Maker page, which has links to all search terms. Indie dyed yarn is yarn dyed by independent, "indie", dyers. The Yarn Dyers of Blackburn based on Grimshaw Park Dyeworks, Haslingden Road offers a. Of note: All pictures are from the shops mentioned below the picture and are reused with their permission :) Like the picture to the left in the Pin (to Pin for later) is from cornbreadandhoney which you will find more about a little lower in the list :). The best indie yarn dyers - Nimble Needles Original Price 49.83 33.93, 39.91 Vivid Wools gorgeous yarns on merino nylon yak yarn. 61- Lindsay of Hello Stella from Ontario not only offers wonderful yarns to complete your next fiber project but she also gives you the opportunity to curl up with a good book and connect with a community as a part of her Kniterary Society hosted on her Instagram profile and own yarn inspired by the book cover. The dyer behind Witch Candy Yarn, Susan Gomes, began her dyeing journey in 2013 after she became dissatisfied with the selection at her local yarn shops. 37.38, 49.83 Natural dyes are dyes or colorants derived from plants, invertebrates, or minerals.The majority of natural dyes are vegetable dyes from plant sourcesroots, berries, bark, leaves, and woodand other biological sources such as fungi.. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Tough for white women, but you can do it. Candices color sensibility is unparalleled and she draws on her Native American heritage and her spectacular surroundings in the mountains and on the prairies of the Treasure State. Not ready to join but want to keep up with us? You can find her updates and behind the scenes pictures on her Instagram profile and find her amazing yarn on her Etsy Shop. Use the filters and sortable headers to customize your results. 78 - Hilke of Haalu The Ugly Bunny from Germany, has not only gorgeous yarns in her Etsy Shop but also ebooks of patterns for knitting and sewing, as well as actual products you can get for any occassion! Her website is where you can find all of her yarn, fiber art, art bats and more! Her gorgeous yarn and monthly yarn clubs like the April Film Yarn club can be found at her website. They are named after people and are beautiful in their use of colors. Below are some Black yarn dyers and Black-owned yarn companies. Dyers - Fiber and Yarn; Dyers - Knit and Woven; Company State. You can find her amazing yarns, buttons, stitch markers, project bags and more on her Etsy Shop. Make Your Way is an arts, heritage and active travel campaign, focusing on the communities of Carluke, Glassford, Lanark, Larkhall and Stonehouse, in 2016 - 17. As a country who is supposed to be accepting and respectful of other human beings, and who has made great strides regarding equal rights, articles like this one sure dont demonstrate such beliefs or standards. Read more of her story on her Maker Feature. Colorways Kits . Inspires me to start a new project today! It will pull news stories from trusted sources, while also providing forums for discussion. Ovis et Cetera is a German based yarn brand that focuses on conscious curated yarn bases that are sustainably hand dyed. Set where you live, what language you speak, and the currency you use. Meridian services many markets home furnishings upholstery apparel hosiery automotive industrial Her website is already cheering for this falls #CreativeSprint, a month of prompts to help you reboot and prime the creative pump. She shares thirty-one Pinterest-worthy slides take you through daily creativity challenges. And if I were a person who knitted or crocheted, I would shop the businesses named, solely because of the uniqueness of their products, not because of the owners skin color. A group of Arabian women who have come up through the many social injustices they endure to build up their own businesses? So I experiment! You can!!! Ill make sure that if anything changes Ill update here) from the US has created some gorgeous and exquisite colors. You can find her shop updates and other news on her Instagram profile and all of her yarn on her website. That is the essence of what these extremely talented yarn dyers have strived to create using their hands, wits, imaginations, and tools around them. 9 - Becky of Thistle & Hart Fiber Co. from Oregon has created a number of beautiful yarn colorways, some uniquely on Mohair while others on all sizes of yarn. How to be an AntiRacist x Ibram X. Kendi. I am glad you got down off of your high horse. Helen of Giddy Yarns of Scotlands beautiful Spring Garden Collection. You can find all of their amazing yarn to include shawl and sweater yarn kits, patterns, mini skeins and more on their website. Tons of solid colors and gorgeous color combinations that I could see being used for so many projects! 58 - Ashley of Montana Crochet from Montana creates gorgeous earthy yarns inspired by all that surrounds her in Montana as well as gorgeous crochet patterns. Some are a vibrant yellow with a slight amount of speckle, others are a multitude of colors - yellow, blue-green, brown and so much more. Starting with a love of crochet, Melody began exploring a passion for color, design, and function. You can find all of her yarn on both her Instagram profile and website. Follow Krista Ann on Instagram @KnitsyKnits and pick up her debut book, Knits That Rock: Vol. There are tons of women in landscaping. Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. Click Here Outer Banks Collection. You can also find more about her story and her dyeing journey in her Maker Feature. (30% off), Sale Price 59.29 She also dyes spinning fibers with all different types of textures. For Black people in America business ownership is important on so many levels. What a great way to get both a pattern and the yarn for the project! White Fragility x Robin DiAngelo I am so excited that you are here and wanting to start crocheting! :) I cant wait to see what you make using this tutorial!! Its important to us to support the American wool industry and promote American wool, Helena says. Her way of combining colors creates outstanding yarns such as the ones in the picture to the left. You can find more of her beautiful yarns, tons of stitch markers of all kinds and more on her Etsy Shop. Cookies and similar technologies are used to improve your experience, to do things like: Without these technologies, things like personalized recommendations, your account preferences, or localisation may not work correctly. I am certain they are not wanting people to buy their products because they are black. Mordanting can give some variations in color, especially when wool is dyed. Nice in the sense that is cool to see people overcoming challenges and limits set by ignorant people in their communities. :) I cant wait to see what you make using this tutorial!! Dont hesitate to call, email, or DM to get a photo tour. Started in June 2010, Lady Dye Yarns (LDY) aims to be a leader in urban knitting and crafting, and a fresh presence in an industry that has historically lacked diversity. "To keep things interesting, I like to dye an eclectic selection of fine yarn bases, each yielding their own vintage, modern, trendy or artsy flare. Original Price 74.11 ignoring race wont make the systems that uphold bigoted attitudes and institutions go away, nor will it make it so that a persons race isnt an inherent part of them (and therefore important and worthy of respect). These dyers use unique color combinations and dyeing techniques to create special skeins of yarn. 91 - artemisyarns sister shop in France is jardindelaine that also has beautiful naturally dyed, solid colored yarns as seen in her Instagram profile and website. A wonderful customized colorway with speckles perhaps? "I create small batches of hand-dyed yarn using environmentally conscious processes, professional acid dyes and dye techniques," Stephanie says. 20 - Taralynn of Playful Day Yarns from California creates a number of beautiful yarns. Its really about people helping people, she says. What is going to be your next article about? 52 - Sayra of Atomic Fiber Co from Idaho has beautiful yarns of all sizes, colors, and sparkles!!! Her Instagram profile has her shop updates, pattern updates, link to her new Girls in the Yarn Cafe podcast on youtube and much more. https://threadsandewe.com Four years later they begin to lease the ranch and buy 2500 head of ewes. How awesome :) . A lot of her colorways sell out pretty fast, so youll need to check her Instagram profile often for updates which are located on her website. BzyPeachs owner Laverne Benton loves to create and it shows. Welcome crocheter to the how to crochet the scallop crochet stitch which is taught by Stephanie of Crochet Instinct. The Knitty Gritty. (20% off), Sale Price 3.08 76 - Alison of biffsugaryyarns from the UK has some beautiful yarns in solids and multiple colors yarn to include an April Showers Yarn club. If a weaver wishes to dye the yarn, it is done following the spinning and washing. Do you know of anyone who weaves the sand paintings? They even have a monthly surprise ball of yarn. By continuing to use this site you consent to our use of cookies. (15% off). Check out The Farmers Daughter Fibers. Her Instagram profile shows all of her gorgeous yarn creations to include a new monthly Back to the 80s Yarn Club and new colorways such as Dark Carnival and fun, bright spring colored yarns. Dye Hard has two weekly online events, Fiber Fun Night every Wednesday evening and Queer Stitch on Sunday afternoons, both via Zoom. 100-year-old Blackburn textile firm goes bust - but skills being kept Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Gradient Sock Yarn, Colorado-Grown Wool, 3.5 oz $ 28.00 Turquoise Stitch Marker Necklace, Pewter Clasp and Czech Crystal on 30" Adjustable Cotton Cord In this fascinating book, the authors have compiled extensive information to bring the techniques, plants, and lore of natural dyeing within every reader's reach. Theres also Neighborhood Fibre Company in Baltimore. 48 - Tiffany of Tippy Tree Yarns from Colorado has beautiful yarns, her vivid greens and blues, yellows and purples are just some of the amazing colors you can find in her Etsy Shop as well as knitting patterns, monthly yarn club, Mary Poppins inspired yarn and more. 93- Madeleine of Yama Yarn of South Africa has created some truly inspirational colorways as seen in her picture to the right. This is a new stitch Im excited to work on as well using Sarahs tutorial below and her crochet pattern too :) I cant wait to see what you make using this tutorial!! A study carried out by academics in Larkhall in Lanarkshire found that . 10 Best Professional Yarn Dyeing Services in 2021 - FAST DYE You can see more of their yarns and patterns on their Instagram profile They also have patterns and knitting kits available on their website as well as their huge list of shops where you can find their yarn. I came here looking for Indigenous and/or Black businesses to support, as people have supported my parents Native American and Black owned businesses in the past. Jerica of YarnHookNeedles new yarn Shipwreck. So long winded. We offer sock, sport, and bulky yarn made with Colorado-grown wool & milled in the USA. Outer Banks . :). If you have other Indie yarn dyers on Instagram that you would recommend, please comment below or send me an email . She then worked as a restoration ecologist for six years, before moving on to an obsession with braided hats and writing articles about people and the environments they live in. 13 - Cortni of Rita Mae Yarns from Pennsylvania has the amazing story of how her grandmother inspired her to do all things yarn and to continue to inspire others to also grow in their passion for yarn fiber, she named her store after her grandmother and Rita Mae Yarns came into being. Of course not, I bet youre thinking to yourself that to do so would be ignorant arent you? You can find unique, one of a kind colorways called Paintbox on her website (along with all her yarn). Exclusive Market Nights Love Chicken Coop Dyeworks!! PS 84 - Layla of Qingfibre from the UK dyes yarns on several different bases (yak anyone? 59.29, 74.11 You can find her yarn on her website and more of behind the scenes and new yarn announcements on her Instagram profile. However, if I treated them rudely or was disrespectful in any way they might refuse me entry, but they would not turn me away because of the color of my skin. (50% off), Sale Price 36.40 Turning off the personalized advertising setting wont stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive. Click here to sign up for a membership today. In the natural wool tones, shades of tan, beige and gray can be achieved in the carding stage, by combining desired amounts of black, brown and white wools. 97 - Angela of Blackwattle Alpaca Yarn and Fibre from Australia creates artisan hand dyed and natural alpaca yarn sourced from her alpacas on her farm. Categorizing people you black, me white only lays the fundament for future harassment setting aside that the boundaries became very fluent in the past situation, and there is only one human species, and the words race, black itself is already racist. You can also find her crochet and knitting patterns in her Etsy Shop as well to match any of her gorgeous yarns!! Donegal Yarn Dyers - Yarn Database Fiber: Donegal Donegal and blends Native Fibers Posted in List, and Yarn Meghan Bailey of Native Fibers is a proud descendent of the Karuk Tribe of Northern California.   France   |   English (US)   |   (EUR), remembering account, browser, and regional preferences, remembering privacy and security settings, personalized search, content, and recommendations, helping sellers understand their audience, showing relevant, targeted ads on and off Etsy, remember your login, general, and regional preferences, personalize content, search, recommendations, and offers. 51 - Jennifer of MaelstromFiberArts from Missouri has gorgeous yarns in her Etsy Shop This type of data sharing may be considered a sale of information under California privacy laws. Her yarns are simply stunning and I can't wait to see what people make with them!! Her Instagram profile is full of yarn pictures and fun behind the scenes shots and shop updates as well as teasers for new yarns. Racism is built into every ounce of our foundation. Im very happy to not only be an indie dyer but also to be contributing to the overall systematic changes that need to happen in the industry.. Wooly Jumper has a strong inclusivity ethos and seeks to inspire young people to pick up the craft. Sign up for our newsletter! Dyes from American Native Plants: A Practical Guide Black-owned businesses face greater challenges accessing start-up capital and loans to get their businesses off the ground as well. This is the first of a series of three crochet stitch tutorials that Sarah has created, all featuring her Essential Crochet Basket Pattern. I think speckles often let colors play together nicely that wouldnt normally, says Shellee. You can find fade kits for multiple types of sweaters patterns, knitted swatches of several of her yarns, and much more on her website in both English and Spanish. What hand-dyed yarn is not Textile Sourcing - Dyers - Cotton Incorporated These cookies do not store any personal information. 24 - Sam of lavenderluneyarn is an Indie dyer in northern MN who has some amazing nature inspired yarns and such a fun project of the Indie Project - a monthly collaboration with another designer. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. in Yarn dyers, Yarn Manufacturers. As todays chaos increases, many of us turn to our crafts and the communities weve built around them for support and the solace that creative labor provides. She has speckled colorways of all types of color combinations and sizes, tonals (solid colorways), sock sets and more!! Her Instagram profile and website are full of gorgeous yarns with names like Golden Fleece, Nectar, Lightening Bolt (very well named as this one is a bright yellow), and Athena. You can find more behind the scenes as well as sales and her latest projects on her Instagram profile. 27 - Sarah of ramseyyarnco of Arkansas and the Ozark Mountains creates ensnaring colorways in the heart of the Ozark Mountains. I have, All these supposed white Native American stories are just a ploy by white Americans so they can feel easy about, Cupik and Yupik Native American History, Inupiaq and St Lawrence Island Yupik Native American History, Aleut and Alutiiq Native American History, Eyak, Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian Native American History, Mexican Zapotec Native American Indian History, Canyon de Chelly the Origin of Navajo Culture, Native American Art Navajo Pottery History, Sandpaintings Religion and Native American Art. 21 - Sarah of knittyandcolor from Georgia has been dying since 2009 and has created some gorgeous yarn full of colors! as well as fun ceramic knitting/crochet mugs, crochet hooks and knitting needles, rolags, fiber batts, roving, yarn bowls and so much more! Clark Tate is a freelance writer and lifelong knitter. You can find her on her Instagram profile and find her marvelous yarn at her Etsy Shop. After the tutorial there is a list of crochet patterns you can go to when you want to make something using your new found knowledge of the Half Double Crochet Back Loop Only Stitch as well as the previous how to crochet stitch tutorials. She has some super skeins in her shop and several patterns. Navajo Wool Dying - Authentic Navajo rugs, blankets and weavings For locals, that means having high-quality national brands like Brown Sheep and Blue Sky Fibers at their fingertips. Today, wed like to celebrate six talented Black women dyers, designers and yarn shop owners working hard to realize their dreams and build a much more beautiful world in the process. This is a new stitch Im excited to work on as well using Sarahs tutorial below and her crochet pattern too :) I cant wait to see what you make using this crochet stitch tutorial!! This is the third of a series of three crochet stitch tutorials that Sarah has created, all featuring her Essential Crochet Basket Pattern so that you can create this awesome and colorful basket! Required fields are marked *. Some Navajos use salt and baking powder. 2 - Beth and Ashley of Blue Mule Fiber from Texas (update as of 18 May 2022 - they are temporarily closed but will update once I hear they have reopened) have created some of the most beautiful yarns from start to finish. Her Instagram profile is full of gorgeous yarns in vibrant pinks, blues, greens, neutrals as well as shop updates and other announcements. The companys Instagram page is filled with what can only be described as yarn porn.. Most of the bases are sourced locally to keep our ecological footprint low. Today 's treat is 10% off Cheviot Marsh 4ply and Cheviot Marsh 4ply Where does all this color announcing stop? Beki of AMOyarns beautiful purple colorways! Old Wire Road Fiber Co s gorgeous bucket of happiness :). Her bucket of happiness is the picture to the left and so many beautiful colors! I dont know any of the businesses highlighted in your article, and you did not say they only work with black people, but I am guessing they have no boundaries as to who they work with or to whom they sell their products and services to. Various degrees of color can be achieved by the contemporary weaver. 82 - Helen of Giddy Yarns from Scotland has created a number of vibrant and fun colored yarns (like the picture to the right) which make her Instagram profile full of vibrant pictures of her yarn, shop updates and more about her Giddy Knits Podcast as well. 42 - Candice of thefarmersdaughtersfibers from Montana creates awe-inspiring yarns based on her Blackfeet heritage, cowboy culture, and Montana roots. Hmmmwell thats all, Ill get off my high horse now, just wanted to give you something to think about. You can also check out her Maker Feature where she also gives you an easy yarn dyeing tutorial and tells you a little more about her story. 57 - Lauren of Old Rusted Chair from Tennessee has beautiful yarns and has created a reward program for those that buy from her website!! Original Price 52.00 90- Natacha of artemisyarns is from France and her gorgeous yarns are inspired by greek mythology (like the ones in the picture to the left). Classification of American Pima Cotton; Quality and Reliability of Classification Data; Dissemination of Data; . Etsy is powered by 100% renewable electricity. We are a country built by slave labor on stolen land. Horse chestnut husks. The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network. :) to create beautiful yarns both solid and with speckles of color. A collaboration between talented indie yarn dyers based in Derbyshire, UK. Back. In Larkhall, Infobel has listed 1,063 registered companies. Liz of High Fiber Artzs new collaboration Game of Thrones kits with 1sockwonder and silentknits that will come out on 4/14 for the premier of Game of Thrones! They dye and photograph their own yarn, which is named after their favorite places in Ontario. 39 - Sheena of casualfashionqueen from Florida has created a variety of beautiful yarns, with all types of sizes to include a reintroduction of fibers for all those spinners, as well as accessories and patterns. Sign up with your email address to receive . 18 - Brittany of macheteshoppe from the Pennsylvanian Poconos has beautiful tonal and multi-colored yarns to include an awesome Into the Woods Mystery Yarn Club!!! Other maker features for yarn dyeing, drawing, pattern creation, and more can be found in the Creative Life and tutorials on Tailwind, Bluprint, Blocking handmade articles and more can be found in Tutorials. Etsy Shop. 46 - Tami of Eternity Ranch Knits from Idaho has gorgeous yarns and yarn collections in her Etsy Shop. Mordants that are commonly used by natural dyers today are metal salts, which vary from slightly to deadly poisonous. And a Eurocentric world-view is what got the US into the horrific situation were in now. Advent. Have a great day! With names like Mermaid Dreams and Cortinarius Semisanguineus (a type of mushroom), each charming skein is an absolute original. Black-Owned Yarn Shops and Dyers to Network with Today i cant believe that your comment has been left up for what appears to be 4 months now. Her Instagram profile is full of these beautiful yarns and where you can find her updates and other announcements. Read the books listed for you. Try being quiet and listening for a change. This is a new stitch Im excited to work on as well using Sarahs tutorial below and her crochet pattern too :) I cant wait to see what you make using this crochet stitch tutorial!! What a great way to create heirloom projects based on memories :) You can find her shop updates, news, new yarns, and more on her Instagram profile and find all of her marvelous yarns to include some gorgeous burgandys (Chere Michele :)) and Michele ma belle set (a light pink to burgandy fade set) and more about Air de lune on her website. She also allows you the option of ordering sweater quantity of any of her yarns, to include those that have been sold out. Melody is the dyer at Haute Bohme. 40 - Jen of theperfectstitchfiberco from the US has created a project picker planner and has pictures of many beautiful completed projects for inspiration on her website where you can also find all of her yarn, fiber, and other accessories. All dye plants may be used with or without a mordant. and many others! They also have ChioGoo Needles, books, and magazines and of course gorgeous yarn!!! The Coop also has a thing for kits that give back. Her colorways such as Sweet Tarts (beautiful pink, yellow and magenta) and Blush (gorgeous pink) make me wish I knew how to knit and continue to dream of all the projects that can be made from her colorways. The use of a mordant is necessary for color and light fastness. i truly hope you self-reflect. Their Website is full of fun yarns, fun stitch makers and project bags all based on science. 38 - Larissa of BeCozi from Michigan has beautiful, chunky merino, chenille yarn, vegan yarn, wonderful blankets, scarves, and more at her Etsy Shop. Spun yarn is boiled for varying periods of time depending on the dyestuff used, the quantity of yarn to be dyed, and the desired color. You can find her updates on her Instagram profile and all of her wonderful yarn on her Etsy Shop. Disclaimer: This site is not responsible for information on or not included on third party websites. this website can do better and so can you. Often fixatives such as mineral salts or urine are necessary to create color fastness, alter hues, or intensify color saturation. If I had a million dollars, I would bet that the women in the article would want me to read about them and their successes and be a customer regardless of their color. Her Instagram profile shows vibrant greens and purples, behind the scenes looks, and more. Should I go out and get a group of white people to protest, destroy and commit violence against others? Who says raising each other up cant be fun? Step - by - Step Tutorial for Blocking Your Handmade Pieces, 45 Most Talented Dragon Sculptors on Instagram, MAD Scientist Yarns gorgeous Rayleigh Scattering and Moon Glow yarns. or where I might try to buy one? At the end of the dyeing process, she gets what she considers to be the ultimate candy: delicious skeins of beautifully dyed yarn. Cotton Dyers & Finishers | CottonWorks We would love your support!! These and shop updates can be found on her Instagram profile and website. Accessible design, diverse makers, no migraines. Have you ever seen some of the gorgeous crochet pieces floating around Instagram and wondered how they are made or even if you could make them yourself? You can find behind the scenes as well as her latest projects on her Instagram Profile and all of her yarn and more about her story on her website. It introduces us to a group of women who should be recognized because of their accomplishments and because each of their businesses are unique in some way, not because they are black. To enable personalized advertising (like interest-based ads), we may share your data with our marketing and advertising partners using cookies and other technologies. All Rights Reserved. 1 - Jeanne of destinationyarn from Ohio, has created some gorgeous colorways inspired by travel (how awesome!!!) 3 - Keri of Yellow June Fiber Co. of Mississippi dyes unique and gorgeous colorways. Copyright2023Golden Peak Media. Kits. Yarn Dyers - Yarn Database
Create Your Own Bratz Avatar, Pinsent Masons Solicitor Salary, Montgomery County Inmate Search, Articles N