Bannon, its easy to tell, is of the old pre-gentrification order. According to the Millwall away end seating plan, around 4000 away fans can be seated in The New Den. The home fans seemed fine. we headed for O'Neils and had some really nice food and expensive drinks. I have, up to now, found watching Charlton both home and away a fairly pleasant past time. However, it is hardly a relaxing day out and I found the Den to be quite intimidating. Was I a football hooligan? Bannon asks of himself. Fans weren't made to sit down and I didn't witness any problems. Generally its a smart enough ground compared to some of the others in the Football League. Because of this, he had to work extra hard to win the trust of his mates in his estate in the London suburb of Belvedere. Then you're herded to the train station. It is a great pub with reasonably priced beers and food. I think The Den is very much deserving of its reputation. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. I bought my programme, as I always do, and once the turnstiles were open, we went into the ground. So we got the coach from Oxford to Baker street then tube to London Bridge followed by one stop on the overground train to south Bermondsey. Contains a comprehensive listing of Millwall pubs with customer reviews, ratings, photos and maps. Wolves came out for the second half in better shape than Millwall, and we were delighted when we took the lead through an unlikely scorer. Millwall looked to make so decent passages of play and tested our keeper Worner on a number of occasions. Be prepared to fork out, as a pie and a pint will set you back about 7-8. Bannon was further tested when he fell in love with the sister of one of the senior hooligans. If travelling by train then it is probably best to grab a beer around London We were arguably the better side for the first 10-13 minutes, then Millwall piled on the pressure. In conclusion, my trip to The Den was an enjoyable one overall. Ex- Red Bradshaw put a header wide, but Barnsley's fragile defence were never really troubled. Comment on getting away from the ground after the game: Brisk walk back to the tube station and off to Brick Lane for that curry.. Summary of overall thoughts of the day out: We had a great day and it was good to add another ground to my list. This was a really enjoyable tour. I didn't eat lunch as I'd had breakfast at the Mallard in Doncaster. Developments such as CCTV and all-seater stadiums have done much to reduce football hooliganism. Went on the supporters coach good scenic drive through London. The Den, formerly known as The New Den, was one of the first stadiums created in response to the Taylor Report and in line with its recommendations. Forest didnt take too many fans (around 1300) and the season is petering away with nothing but pride to play for. The most notable thing about Millwall was their work rate, especially the two lads up front Keogh and Kane. Why were you looking forward to visiting the Den football ground? wow this stadium might have looked good 20 years ago" Having said that it had plenty of legroom and good unobstructed views all around. In his case, he explains there was no operational justification for a romantic relationship. home fans friendly? The new stadium had cost 16 million to build. He apologised for his colour blind friend. The area is quite industrial with not much to see with the ground surrounded with metal fences and razor wire. At the Den Again at Paddington, there were plenty of West Ham fans, and because both scouse teams had played each other in the smei-final of the FA Cup at Wembley earlier that day, Paddington was covered with Liverpool and Everton fans. When approaching the ground there were stewards ushering our coaches into the away end. millwall pubs to avoid. At a meeting at Scotland Yard, in March 1987, he was offered the chance to work on a covert operation looking at football hooligans that was planned to last a maximum of six months. I found Millwall to be one of the better London away days and well worth the trip and encountered no problems at all. 1. 3. I was clearly wearing my teams' shirt, but I wasn't made to feel uncomfortable whatsoever by any of the home fans. There was a little trouble in our end with some flares being let off during the last ten minutes which were dealt with very well by the stewards. Glad I hadn't taken the kids! Street parking can be found on the small estate on your left just past the ground, otherwise, be wary of on street parking restrictions around the area of the ground so check lamp posts for signage. I think the Millwall fans were too spread out to really make much noise. As expected, Millwall provided our lads with one of our tougher tests so far in the season. Overall brilliant day out As a 53 year old thats seen football all over world I will look forward to visiting the Den again. The most costly Cat A matches have ticket prices ranging from 26.00 for an upper-tier seat behind the goal to 30.00 for a seat in the main stand. He hit the target, but keeper Archer pulled off a fine save to push it wide and keep his side's point. I have to say that the Millwall fans that we spoke to in the pub were very friendly and everyone seemed to be getting on well (the way it should always be of course). During the after-match lock-in, see below, I do feel that the bars could be kept open even if its only for hot drinks and snacks. Having travelled up and down the country following Wolves, from Newcastle to Plymouth and everywhere in between, I know that supporters can create a fantastic, intimidating cauldron of noise, without lowering themselves to the kind of behaviour. WebMillwall v Portsmouth Millwall supporters attacked a group of Portsmouth fans in the Windmill Pub near Waterloo Station. In theendwe did well not to concede a few more, Stuart Downing gave us some hope when his effort was helped in by the keeper, but overall not a great performance fromeithteam.Millwall held on to win 2-1, taking all three important points. In these instances, the Police are well drilled in getting away fans into the ground from the special train and safely away afterwards. The most popular method of travel for away fans to the Den is by official club coach, or by train from London Bridge. Away fans are housed in the North Stand, which is located at one end of the stadium (usually in the upper tier only). Where do I start? A typical older English Championship stadium it looking uncompromising but on reflection when getting inside, the away end is well served with excellent sight lines with decent seating for a really good full view of the pitch for the entire match. Their next stadium though would become a name synonymous with Millwall; it wasnt, however, anything to do with the fact the ground was designed by the highly respectable Archibald Leitch. I had eaten prior to getting the coach so I didnt get a chance to sample to Millwall food, but due to the fact that we were so early I know plenty of us did grab something from either the Millwall caf or from inside the ground when we were finally let in. Once allowed out the journey back was simple and quick. Note that several of these, including the Market Porter on Stoney Street, dont It was only in the last 10 minutes where Leicester started to play again, and on the 82nd minute substitute Danny Drinkwater finished well into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. 2 The undercover football hooligan - The Telegraph No issues with opposing groups of supporters with everyone mingling happily. Display results as threads Not really given reputation of home support which I may add was in my view unfounded. In addition to the close proximity, the two clubs have spent plenty of time playing at a similar level. The A2 actually passes the ground. The atmosphere was relaxed and we encountered friendliness and good humour from everyone we met. The game was terrible from our point of view as we were 3-0 down at half time and that was the final score. It was a tight area at the entrance but once inside the facilities were good as well. The range of food seemed good looking at the menu board with pies, burgers and chips all making an appearance. After weighing up the options, we decided to use the clubs official travel. Adults 29 (B 26) (C 24), Over 61s 20 (B 17) (C 15), Under 18s 16 (B 14) (C 12), Under 16s 14 (B 12) (C 10),Under 12s 9 (B 7) (C 5)** This seems to happen every time I go to a Charlton match. Off the bottom of the table at last. I stopped in Redhill at a Wetherspoons for breakfast. The Den is separated into four stands, and the away fans are situated in the upper tier of the North Stand. Matt Smith came on as a sub for Millwall. We support responsible gambling, so in case you require information about gambling addiction or need support please use the link GeGambleAware. Barnsley bottom of the league and without an away win and having picked up only two points on the road. 13. Millwall has two price structures. The Den is quite an interesting stadium to travel to. Canning Town is only a 7-minute Docklands Light railway journey away, with regular Jubilee Line connections to London Bridge. Considering our train from London Bridge to South Bermondsey was ten minutes late, myself and about 300 other Ipswich fans missed the opening five minutes. The ground looks pretty much the same all round but it is a really nice looking stadium. see all reviews, beerintheevening.com 2001-2022. The match tickets were very reasonably priced at 26. Follow the ring road signs for Dover and cross over Tower Bridge. That was Millwall's only attempt on target. Your email address will not be published. However the only down point to the travel had to be that we left Kingsmeadow at 4:30pm, which is only about 40mins to and hour away from The Den so unfortunately we were there around 5:30pm for a match that started at 7:30pm. Adults 31 (B 28) (C 26), Over 61s 21 (B 18) (C 16), Under 18s 17 (B 15) (C 13), Under 16s 14 (B 12) (C 10),Under 12s 9 (B 7) (C 5)** The main song sung was 'no one likes us we don't care' and this 'miiiiiiiiiii' chant which does sound good to be fair, it also drowns out the oppositions' fans and makes it intimidating. That saw them move just a few hundred yards and theyve remained there since the changeover in 1993. It was crowded but acceptable for a short journey. After such a resounding victory the Police decided it was appropriate to keep us in for 20 minutes after the final whistle, just to let the understandably annoyed home support leave the area. A friend of mine said that he thought I was brave to go there; that said, Millwall have made great play in recent years of their efforts to make the club and their matches less intimidating to watch. Then, against the run of play Chaplin scored for the Reds. Read reviews and see photos of the pubs, clubs and nightlife venues near you, get directions and opening hours and submit your own review. Before we know it, we were back at my cousins, and I was picked up the next day. The toilets were nice and there was no trouble getting around the ground. After about a mile take the first exit at the roundabout onto the A2. A nice quiet pub with a decent pint of Harvey's bitter. (opens in a new tab). Ive done some stupid things in my time, but that was one of my better manoeuvres, he says. It was just gone 8pm when the two men entered one of the Bushwhackers favourite pubs, The Old Castle. No matter how big or small your event is, a suite at The Den is the ideal location. Best pubs near Millwall FC? - London Message Board WebGuide to good pubs in Millwall. We had traveled by official Club coach and had to wait 45 minutes after the game had ended before we were allowed to exit the stadium car park. it was very cold and wet. Once we got close to the ground we didnt see any home fans as we were massively segregated from South Bermondsey train station. After a couple of hours and many pints later we then made our way to London Bridge Railway Station for the overground train to South Bermondsey. It is probably best to travel to the New Den by taking the tube to London Bridge, on the Jubilee and Northern Lines, then the overland train to South Bermondsey station, which is only a few minutes walk from the ground, with a designated Millwall away fans walkway. 5. At 4.70 a pint, its a little more than I pay back home, but then again, London prices! Reversing the walk back up the pathway to South Bermondsey station and getting the short ride back to London Bridge. The police will keep you in for about 1/2 hour to get the home fans away. The Council are expected to make a decision on whether to go ahead with the Compulsory Purchase Orders in early 2017. I was looking forward to the experience of a new ground as I haven't visited the Den before. London. I've always wanted to go there to experience it after hearing everything about it. And we were barred. Lots of huffing and puffing by Forest, but no end result, which saw a 2-0 defeat. Worth it I guess though! As for what I did before the match was mainly hang around the outside areas designated for away fans but so others braved the outside of the away fan compound to buy a programme and have a look round. There are also Cheese & Onion Pasties (3.50), Sausage Rolls (3.10), Burgers (4) and Chips (2.10). Left at 7am and travelled via M6, M1, M25, M11 and A12 via Blackwall tunnel to meet up with relatives in Lewisham and then taxi ride of about 4 miles that took 30 minutes due to traffic congestion. home fans friendly? The game was awful ( we loss ) however drinks and food was expensive paying 5 for some lager I never heard of really grinded my gear. A decent range of ales. Millwall At the ground, there are bars to the rear of the stands, which also serve hot food. On 72 minutes, a corner was floated in and was met by Shaun Hutchinson for 4-0. We were all patted down very thoroughly outside the turnstiles. Will never return. This meant that we had to hang around at the back of The Den waiting for the turnstiles to open so that was a bit of a pain, however thats something to do with the organisation of the coach not the ground itself. Millwall The New Den - Away Grounds I turned around and grabbed the person whod done it by the throat. It was mainly Villa fans in the pub although there were a few Millwall fans in there too. Millwall Online (Vital Football Network) However we came across another local pub nearby which was nice. Had a couple of pints at the classic Wetherspoons Metropolitan Bar at Baker Street, before journeying onto London Bridge. A bit noisier and four TVs showing different programmes, including football, plus background music. Good Luck to them! Away fans are segregated the moment that they get out of the station and it's a two minute walk to the ground. The four stands are identical and unremarkable, however by keeping it small means only about 10,000 home fans are required to pretty well fill the home end and so give the place plenty of atmosphere. Were having a superb season, and the chance to tick off another of the 92 really appealed, despite The Dens, ahem, reputation for being a place away fans fear to tread. because my mate had the genius idea of getting the river bus to London Bridge which costs 7.30 per person each way (pay on Oyster card or contactless), with the added bonus that there is a bar on the boat! WebSave. To be honest, there were not rea lly many away fans left at full time so they just let us all go. After the pre-match routine of music and announcements not that I could understand them, as Millwalls PA system is a bit ropey and Zampa the Lion prancing about with a brolly to emulate the Forest manager, the match began. What you did before the game pub/chippy. The toilet facilities were adequate for the number of fans and healthier than at some grounds because there was a smoking area. As I say, the chips were nice, and selling Somersby cider gets anyone some extra thumbs up from me! The Albion, on Albion Street, is being replaced with flats but locals hope to keep its memory alive by salvaging the 12ft sign commissioned by Courage Brewery. Bannon, 48, asks to meet at a caf around the corner from the now-empty Brockley police station, above which his small team was based in its earliest weeks. They may create custom packages for you, including a variety of menu options and suite layout options. The stands were neat, and the two-tiered away end was certainly not the worst weve had this season. The home fans got the occasional MILLL-WALLL going but that was about that. Over the coming months, the two men had to prove their worth. It is probably best to go by rail, as South Bermondsey Railway Station is only a few minutes walk from the ground. With time to kill we had a couple of drinks in the big pub opposite London Bridge station that was showing the early game on television. After that it was pretty end to end stuff will no real chances until Millwall obviously scored their winner in injury time at the end. The bloodthirsty new generation of hooligans dragging - The Sun The home fans are extremely loud, and so is the PA system. He says, 'Well Ive got to drive. Bannon went to the toilet. I genuinely felt affronted, he says. Newer Than: Search this thread only; Search this forum only. At Paddington station we jumped onto the Bakerloo line and remained on it until we got off at Waterloo, where we swapped over and got onto the Jubilee line. Drove down from Worcestershire via M40/A40 and parked at Ickenham Tube station (2 for all day parking). The stewards were non-obtrusive and allowed us to enjoy the day, while the facilities were decent enough. One journalist who witnessed the event described scenes of open bloody warfare. Mick Hubbard adds; Also on Borough High Street is the George Inn, which is owned and leased by the National Trust. Bannon began to see his time running with Millwall as a two-year long exercise in improvisational acting. My experience of Millwall fans is that if you fine with them, then you wont have a problem. Its just a case of turning left or right, isnt it? he says. Whys he doing that? 7. The traffic was a bit of a nightmare around the ground as were leaving. For all their faults it's one of the best atmospheres you'll find inside a ground Knight GT, Apr 11, 2013 #5 lutonh8a Squad Player and in Millwall we've met our southern equivalent. Couldnt fault it. As always in London, public transport is not a problem. I set up Away Grounds with the desire to share my passion for football with other like-minded footy fans. What you thought on seeing the ground, first impressions of away end then other sides of the stadium? Away fans driving from the South should follow the A20 / A21 into London. We almost, almost nicked it at the death though. There is simply no place for that kind of behaviour in our society, and whilst I dont expect anything to be done about it, I do hope that eventually, more is done to make sure this is stamped out of football for good. I hope they got home safe and sound! Privacy Policy. Millwall is a depressing area. If you see any details here that need updating, please let us know by submitting updates on the pub. Waiting nearly an hour to be allowed to leave the ground to walk the 600m to the train station for my safety is ridiculous. Like the general improvement in football, a trip to Millwall is not as threatening as it once was. It is a bit of a trek but incredibly interesting, railway arches, scrapyards, garages and probably the biggest traveller site I have ever seen. If your team brings a sizeable following, then an away fan football special may be laid on from London Bridge. It's as simple as that. The train or the coach are the easiest forms of transport to use especially with walkway from the station direct in to the away end. I like my football but it is a long way to go to be hustled in and out of ground after six hours on a coach still its football and we love it. A change from the identikit bowls that were also built in that era. Poplar & Millwall Royal British Legion Club - whatpub.com Lovely beer. The stewarding I found surprisingly relaxed and no issue at all while as for the pie price you have to pay London prices. If you are travelling by the train then you will find a few Town fans in pubs around Liverpool St, London Bridge and Borough Market. Manufacturer:Macron Home Kit: All Rights Reserved. Finally made back to the digs 1.30am.
Maine Stock Car Racing Hall Of Fame, Articles M