Babe Ruth hit his 700th career home run there in 1934. Ficks homer hit the roof in right and just missed going out of the stadium. "An inning or so later, they told us it was charted at 484 feet. Harmon Killebrew hit a home run that ricocheted off the left field roof and sounded like a gun blast off his bat. Paul Baldwin and Sam worked together for many years and knew each other well. This blast off Glendon Rusch caromed off the center field awning for an estimated 504 feet. Privacy Policy Just ordered the military green Lions shirt and couldn't be happier. As a lifelong Tigers fan, I have been fortunate enough to see two players clear the fence. Some of Susmans work has appeared in a Baseball Digest article on Mantles homers. The baseball traveled past the flag pole located in deep center field, over the head of Charles Chick Shorten, over the lower deck, which undoubtedly had only a smattering of fans, and out onto the street. This would put him in the feasible discussion for the longest round-tripper ever. Cecil Fielder stroked a two-run blast into the upper deck left-center field bleachers off of Dave Stewart for his 40th home run of the season, becoming the fourth Tiger ever to reach that mark in a season. "An inning or so later, they told us it was charted at 484 feet. Although only three strongmen (Frank Howard, Harmon Killebrew, Cecil Fielder) hit balls that went over the roof in left field, several folks shot the ball over the right-field roof. For everyone's entertainment, Miami should loan Stanton to Colorado and see how much damage he could inflict during a full season at Coors. I didnt know what I was going to end up with that season but I knew it was going to be great.". Not since Hank Greenberg in the 1940s, had Tiger fans seen a power hitter like Cecil Fielder. The first time, though, was in 1977, when Jason Thompson clubbed one out, literally seconds after my dad told me I think Thompson is gonna crush one out of the stadium. "It looks like beer's coming down.". Mr. October receives the benefit of the doubt for his July feat, but watch the ball rocket off his bat. Baseball commissioner Judge Landis ordered Medwick off the field for his own safety. Ranking the 20 Most Legendary All-Star Game Home Runs of All Time July 3, 1999, the Cleveland Indians star sent a ball screaming an estimated 511 feet. "Watch that splash on the scoreboard," Keith Hernandez said during his earlier years as a Mets broadcaster. A few players, very few, hit home runs into the bleachers in straightaway center field, an incredible 440 feet away. The thing is I said " no big deal" yet they would let me leave with it they got another one from their very advanced warehouse. On Sept. 27, 2008, the slugger secured his fifth season with 40 deep flies. This is why: for decades during the earlier history of that ball park, the roofed, left-field spectator stands did not exist. It was said the lights at the ballpark were so bright that it could light up a city of 10,000 people. A record that cant be broken, You are correct he hit 4 out of the Stadium. A year later, Tiger Stadium was in the national spotlight when Denny McLain became the first pitcher in 31 years to win 30 games. (The Cubs claimed their last World Series title there in 1908.) I was at a game when Frank Catalonatto hit a ball onto the RF roof down the line, but the ball rolled back off the roof and fell on the field. Quick shipping as well. In 80-degree weather on Aug. 25, 1990, Tiger Stadium hosted 45,474 fans eagerto watch the Oakland Athletics' Bash Brothers, Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco, face off against the Tigers' Cecil Fielder, the league leaderin home runs. Im here to drive home runs. Carolina Hurricanes eliminate Nashville Predators in OT [VIDEO], Detroit Lions TE T.J. Hockenson loves him some Jared Goff, Detroit Tigers make decision on Austin Meadows, claim Braden Bristo off waivers, Rumor surfaces as to why Detroit Lions selected Jahmyr Gibbs at No. Thompson was my favorite player at the time, so it was an awesome moment, to be sure. "ESPN's Stats & Info Group marks the landing point at 496 feet from home plate and 26 feet above field level.". It seemed like Rusty Staub hit more than his fair share of those, and Dave Bergman too. Detroit was one of the first powers in the new league, advancing to the World Series three years in a row from 1907-09. PNC Park upgrades Decades before these modern advances, historians were left to make questionable estimations or even use an actual tape measure. The ballpark was also the scene of one of the darkest days in NFL history. Skeptics will certainly be forgiven for doubting that distance, but others will prefer to simply believe. This never happened. The league scheduled eight more games in the next five years. Reportedly, the baseball landed across the intersection of Cherry and Trumbull. Each time the noise grew louder and louder! According to Statcast, someone soon to follow topped Mike Piazza's 496-foot homer from Sept. 26, 1997, as the longest home run in Coors Field history. HELLO LOU BROCK OF THE CHICAGO CUBS HIT A HOMERUN IN THE CENTERFIELD BLEACHERS AT THE POLO GROUNDS IN A 1ST GAME OF A DOUBLEHEADER AGAINST THE NEW YORK METS ON 6-17-1962 and on 6-18-1962 hank AARON of the braves also hit a homerun in the centerfield bleachers a day after brock hit his. Negative racial/anti-Semitic, or religious stereotypes are prohibited. On June 14, 1983, Gibson belted a blast over the right field roof against the Red Sox. Some of Gibson's home runs were pretty darn big (including a couple in the World Series) but one of Gibson's most memorable home runs came in June of 1983 when he hit a moon shot that cleared the roof of Tiger . After hitting his 40th home run on that Saturday afternoon, Fielder was not done yet with the Bash Brothers. Bud Metheny Ballpark renovations (Old Dominion University) Tape-measure home runs remain among the most impressive feats in all of sports, and just last weekend, Rangers slugger Nelson Cruz hit the longest home run in the history of Angels. Yet the story of his 565-foot moonshot still lives strong. Michigan native Rocky Roe was the home plate umpire. It was later measured to be a 523-foot homer, with the ball landing on the lumber yard across the street from the stadium. In 1968, his last at-bat came there when he struck out in Game 5 of the World Series. But he is prouder of the fact that he won three consecutive RBI titles (1990-92) than joining the 50-home run club, pointing out the only other players to do it in the American League are Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. As I mentioned above, a list that includes significant home runs at Tiger Stadium has to include Charlie Maxwell hitting 4 HRS in 4 consecutive at bats on May 3, 1959 in a double header against the Yankees. Two months later, the Cubs traded him to the Yankees, wherehe put together the best stint of his career. With the OPEN sign light I though well came all this way just aswell give it a try and am I glad I did. Once or twice a year, an outfielder would have to go behind the pole to chase an errant hit. Fielder, now relaxed, offered a grand finale fireworks performance when he drilled a three-run, 406-foot homer in the eighth inning off right-hander Alan Mills for No. Answerbag wants to provide a service to people looking for answers and a good conversation. The Times reported that Cecil Fielder became the first Detroit player to hit a home run over the left-field roof at Tiger Stadium (''Fielder Belts Two as Tigers Rout A's, 14-4,'' Aug. 26), and . As ESPN's Home Run Trackerverifies, one moonshot onMay 11, 2000, went 500 feet with a116.7 mph exit velocity. But why argue over semantics when we can watch some of MLB's best sluggers sock a few dingers? Everyone has their own opinion. And I liked everything about Tiger Stadium because to hit in that old ballpark 81 games a year was a blessing., Memorable moments in Tiger Stadium history. The Tigers scratched out a run in the sixth to tie the game at 7. Paul was great to work with and offered to delay shipping when I told him I would be on vacation on the original delivery date. New Tennessee Smokies ballpark. He retired with 536 home runs, sixth on the all-time list. Enter your email address to subscribe to Ballpark Digest and receive notifications of new posts by email immediately when a new story is posted. Hammerin Hank Greenberg probably hit more home runs to deep left-center field at Navin Field/Briggs Stadium than any other player. Recently got a blank jersey stitched at Vintage Detroit and the finished product looks awesome! , The Metropolitan Museum of Art has one of the best baseball card collections in the world thanks to one man, By Please seek professional guidance. The longest home runs in Royals history - Royals Review If you choose to make a purchase after clicking a link, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. the Nearest to me was Vintage. Several years later, the country watched another memorable Thanksgiving Day game played in a blizzard that covered the field by halftime. His power surge included three on May 6 in Toronto and three more on June 6 in Cleveland. A 575-foot dinger at Navin Field in Detroit isn't the most interesting of the tales, but it'd top this list. The HBO movie 61* was filmed there. I was in desperate need because of a upcoming event to make purchase I could get same day while searching for the item I quickly realized there wasn't just limited availability of the item but very limited locations in Metro Detroit i could purchase the item. Contact Us Mantle hit the memorable homer off Paul Foytack on Sept. 10, 1960. The exact distance, however, remains disputed. Oh yeah, that's not even Fielder's entry. We found a lumber yard worker named Sam Cameron, who has been a longtime dependable employee of the Brooks Lumber Yard, Susman said. Robinson flung his glove into the stands in disgust. In 1984, Kirk Gibson launched a home run into the upper deck in right field in the 8th inning of Game Five of the World Series, sealing the title for the Tigers. I could hit for average, but thats not my job. During his 17 seasons of Major League Baseball, Kirk Gibson hit 255 home runs with 195 of those dingers coming with the Detroit Tigers. Robert Fick hit a grand-slam homer to help Detroit to an 8-2 win over Kansas City. Because Tiger Stadium is the oldest major league baseball stadium in the United States, and because superb home run hitters such as the Tigers' Harry Heilmann and the Yankees' Babe Ruth, played there many years before Fielder, Killebrew and Howard, readers may wonder why it took so many years to accomplish the rare feat of clearing that left-field roof. New St. Croix River Hounds ballpark, 2025 Ballparks . Dave Kingman hit one entirely out of Wrigley Field onApril 14, 1976. Little could they have anticipated how great and immediate would be the return on their investment. Some opposing players seemed to shine at Tiger Stadium. Good article. Dont forget about Frank Howard. He actually did it twice that season, the first of two straight seasons he was an All-Star for the Tigers. MLB.com also provides an array of mobile apps for fans to choose from, including At Bat, the highest-grossing iOS sports app of all-time. Detroit reliever Terry Fox threw eight scoreless innings of relief. MLB.com also provides fans with a stable of Club beat reporters and award-winning national columnists, the largest contingent of baseball reporters under one roof, that deliver over 100 original articles every day. (Thirteen years earlier, he was the only player ever to homer over the center-field bleachers, which consisted of one deck at the time.) He hits them a long way.". But . All rights reserved. *(previously Briggs Stadium & Navin Field), Most Homers hit by opposing players What made MLB's 1971 All-Star Game in Detroit one of the best ever No one hit more homers in Tiger Stadium than Al Kaline, who belted 212 there, while hitting 187 on the road. I saw it bounce twice on the roof and was hoping it would go out and sure enough it did. Dismiss, Copyright 2022 Vintage Detroit Collection, Spinnaker Center, 44692 Helm St, Plymouth. Heplayed in Toronto from 1985 to 1988 as a backup, but batted .302 with 38 home runs and 81 RBIs in 106 games in Japan in 1989. "The ball assumed what can only be called a majestic arc and landed on the left-field roof in Tiger Stadium," Ryan wrote. NewHillsboro Hops ballpark The noted historian also backed ancient anecdotes of the Sultan of Swat's hitting one. Don said, Just go up there and let it go, hit the damn ball and get it done, Fielder said. Over the years, the distances gradually shortened down the lines. You just dont get this type of service anywhere else folks and turns out it all to be a great value as well as they search the system for every possible discount they could give me. Reggie Jackson: Reggie's blast in the 1971 All-Star Game was headed out of Tiger Stadium, but it hit a transformer on the right field roof. The previous year, the Tigers finished with the worst record in baseball (59-103) and were desperate to find a power-hitting first baseman. I was very happy for Cecil.. Gibson hits one out of Tiger Stadium - YouTube Not to be picky but Griffey didnt flip off Sparky. MLB.com also offers extensive historical information and footage, online ticket sales, official baseball merchandise, authenticated memorabilia and collectibles and fantasy games.Major League Baseball consists of 30 teams split between the American and National Leagues. Because owner Walter Briggs believed baseball should be played in the daytime, the Tigers were the last team in the American League to install lights, putting in the arcs in 1948. Some of Gibson's home runs were pretty darn big (including a couple in the World Series) but one of Gibson's most memorable home runs came in June of 1983 when he hit a moon shot that cleared the roof of Tiger Stadium.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'detroitsportsnation_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_0',695,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-detroitsportsnation_com-medrectangle-4-0'); We sure miss Gibby playing for the Tigers and we REALLY miss Tiger Stadium!if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'detroitsportsnation_com-banner-1','ezslot_5',898,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-detroitsportsnation_com-banner-1-0'); Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links. Trammell hit 97 homers at Tiger Stadium, good for 11th all-time. He had yielded just four homers during the first half, but Jackson took him deep for an unofficial fifth. On a 2-1 count, Fielder launched a fastball into the night as the ball carried down the line and smashed into the facing of the third deck for his 50th home run. Fielder was given the dented ball by an employee who recovered it from a gutter on the back portion of the ballpark. Hughes was quickly wheeled off the field, which eerily ended minutes later. The ball soared out of Wrigley Field and landed on the rooftop of a building across the street. If not for hitting a transformer on Tiger Stadium's roof, the baseball would have experienced a further journey. According to Allied News Jim Sankey, via MLB.coms Matt Monagan, the Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder submitted seven of 18 balls to clear Forbes Fields 86-foot high roof in right field. Discussion of suicide or self-harm is not tolerated and will result in an immediate ban. Out of concern for the neighborhood, the team moved a series to Baltimore. There is a different sound when someone like Cecil hit the ball. Frank Lary, who had made a career out of beating the Yankees (he was 29-6 lifetime against them from 1955-63), was the Detroit starter. Strawberry hit another dinger during New York's Opening Day victory and matched his previous season's career high with 39 homers that year. Although they only won six pennants during their tenure there, the hometown Tigers were often an interesting team with individual stars. In 1997, McGwire joined them. Order Tracking Most Home Runs hit at Tiger Stadium* Al Kaline 226 Norm Cash 212 Hank Greenberg 187 Lou Whitaker 146 Rudy York 140 Cecil Fielder 130 Willie Horton 127 Dick McAuliffe 107 Lance Parrish 102 Bill Freehan 100 * (previously Briggs Stadium & Navin Field) Most Homers hit by opposing players LSU Captures Game 1 Over Alabama, 8-6 - LSU As the team improved, so did the capacity of the ballpark, capping out at 14,000. Killabrew was in 62. When I hit it, I knew it was gone, I just didnt know where it was going.
Good Day Property Management Chicago, Sapphire Yhnell First Baby Dad, Subaru Seats Uncomfortable, Articles L