Cant believe I never ran across that so modernistic structure. The burger was outstanding. Yelp recently published its inaugural list of 2023's "Top 100 Places to Eat in the Southwest." Several spots from the Land of Enchantment made the list, and one even made the top ten. Given more exposureand the luck that comes with being in the right place at the right time The Planets could wind up stars. The menu focuses on delightful comfort food with a signature New Mexican twist. I love history & even more so when its local! It has served as a stagecoach stop, soda fountain, and telegraph office. A popular location in the '90s, the company went bankrupt in 2008. Family visit in November 1990 to YesterDave's retro restaurant located in Albuquerque New Mexico. Add to compare. Thanks. Was it The Wild Plum? He spent time in Denver writing for 5280 Magazine, The Denver Post, 303 Magazine, and Denver Life Magazine. The RGYC/SS were kinda in the genre of fine dining. Attempts to branch out were thwarted when an Austin gig was canceled because the clubs ownership changed hands, and again when California hotel executives discovered the band theyd hired had no intention of playing disco. Weve reminisced about sitting in the Peanut Gallery for the taping of Captain Billys Clubhouse a nautical version of Captain Kangaroo filmed at what was then the KGGM studios. Dont forget to grab some cookies or pillowy English muffins from the market to tide yourself over until your next visit. The Planets had played its third straight gig at Rox the night before, stopping the music at 2 a.m. but continuing to party elsewhere until who knows when. Lead guitarist Davidson was working with a Las Vegas-based country show band. We used to go there for Sunday brunch. Wine Cellar was a GREAT place to listen to music after a hard days work. And who can forget, going Westa few blocks past Rowlands Nursery on Menaul where you could then get a single slice of Heidis Pies for $2+(? our price would go up. Our newest location, Sadie's on Academy opened in June 2013. Garduno's will be offering a special Mother's Day buffet on May 14th from 11am to 5pm that will include red chile glazed ham, herb roast beef, enchiladas, tamales, a salad station plus a variety of sides and desserts to choose from. New Mexico Archives Online indicates the restaurant had signage work done in 1969. It was around 930pm, and we were having a hard time finding a meal in Albuquerque at that hour. It worked out better. Today, for example, the southwest corner occupant is Taco Cabana while Walgreens occupies the southeast corner, a Buffalo Wild Wings place is on the northeast corner and a Wells Fargo Bank is on the northwest corner. Unfortunately, I believe it burned down (or perhaps was burned down) & my father cant recall exactly where it was located. This building has been open for business for more than 130 years, but not always as a restaurant. Today he is a beverage manager, writer, and marketer in his hometown of Albuquerque. This place is on Osuna and San Mateo. I write about it here. Bottom line RE 70s-90s of ABQ? Senor Buckets - Rock bar on San Mateo, south of Montgomery. I grew up in Abq from 1965 to 1995. Hello. The "Pac-Man" music is playing in your head right now, isn't it? I think its Joes bar later. They were there 25 years until the late 90s. This https://tinyurl.com/kvcv5z7y Rancho de Chimayo a little more than 1/2 hour from Los Alamos (as a non-winter drive), would seem too easy, if it were the case! Lest one doesnt get around, this is an update of the downtown skyscape for those who may have left town https://tinyurl.com/y4dhjsdz Alas, the tad on the left edge of the former medical then psychiatric hospital has been turned into a boutique Parq Central Hotel featuring its fantabulous Apothecary Lounge on its rooftop https://tinyurl.com/y4u34ke5. GIL, Why is Gone But Not Forgotten High Finance, Sandia Crest on The N.M. 2 levels. It was located at 108 Rio Grande, N.W. What was the name of that band or who was the lead singer? Some of it's more popular promos included 25ct. Indeed! My Air Force colleagues and I practically lived there on weekends. Also, where I learned to hand jive. Their Fish n Chips though! Monroe's New Mexican Food THE 10 BEST Restaurants Near Casa Rondena Winery Petes recap doesnt specifically call out a boxed lunch sandwich place, but it does provide a rather nostalgic reflection on one of the citys burgeoning hubs. So why worry now Staff writer for Only In Your State and freelance writer. Our love comes shining red and gold One Of These Historic Eateries Is The Oldest Restaurant In NM This has been a perfect case study of how to do social networking right in a way that adds value to the participants and doesnt feel like push advertising, Clark said. And they would have a live Dixieland Jazz band playing sometimes. My parents loved to eat there whenever they came to visit. Several restaurants gave it the old college try at that location. If you love dining at restaurants with storied pasts, you've come to the right state. Burger King - Restaurant | 1990 Ladera Dr NW Nw, Albuquerque, NM 87120, USA As an institution of college grub with a knack for New Mexican breakfast, Frontier is known for its sprawling dining rooms bustling with hungry students trying to ease into the day after a long night and professors fueling up for lectures at the nearby University of New Mexico. Nestled in the vibrant North Easterns neighborhood of Albuquerque, Los Cuates is a beloved restaurant and bar chain that's all about serving classic Mexican dishes and mouthwatering burgers in a stylish, yet relaxed space. Indeed, Im thinking you might be familiar with the former Goodys at https://tinyurl.com/4mar28w5 Alas, I cant recall another. They had seafood and steaks. So why worry now Feel free to add any awesome spots, which dish up both impressive food and history, in the comments. (505-299-9517; 4:30 P.M. to midnight every day). They had a fairly large selection of exotic food and if I recall correctly, you could get a sandwich made there. Muchas gracias, Roberto. And the fact we have two girl singers singing songs that were recorded by guys makes it our sound, too. While still a student at UNM, Terry Keene, owner of the Artichoke Cafe, actually worked at the Montana Mining Company, first as a waiter then later as manager. My loss. " 03/03/2023 " Best red chilie " 11/26/2022 Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern Fan Tang #296 of 1,306 Restaurants in Albuquerque 84 reviews 3523 Central Ave NE 0.7 miles from Central Avenue Thanks. Roger Whittakers rendition of The Last Farewell is one of my favorite 70s songs. Would anyone happen to remember a diner, probably in the SE quadrant of town, called Continental Club Cafe? Mexican Restaurants, Parks, and Dollar Tree Shops in North Easterns And weve gasped anew at the way the old captain met his fate, shot in the KGGM lobby by a confused and jealous husband. Midnight Rodeo - Country/western bar on McLeod and San Mateo. Website Directions View Menu More Info. Since then, Sawmill (with the help of its diverse assortment of more than 20 outlets) has established itself as a gathering place for both locals and travelers. Thanks for your confirmation Georgous! name of this restaurant. Elsewise, I always thought the Black Angus, just south of Menaul on Wyoming, when it first opened, had little rooms as per the tinted, floor-to-ceiling, glassed-in booths it had! Albuquerque, New Mexico Our Story Goes Back to 1962 Monroe's has been serving the best in New Mexican cuisine to local residents and their families. Its a happy medium, said Morelock, who supplies the brunt of the original material. Anyone recall a possible neighborhood bar in the corner of the L of Fair Plaza circa the 70s? See, things would change a lot if we were only playing 45 minutes or an hour on stage each night. Photographer: Design by Barbara . Monica; Suzane again, maybe it had the word sweet in it? The kitchen dishes up huevos rancheros smothered in chile, a hefty chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy, and everything in between. When it opened, there wasnt anything quite like the Grove, which highlights sustainable and locally sourced dishes like a savory croque madame or a breakfast burrito with Tullys Italian sausage, goat cheese, and green chile. A regular Neds band at the time THE 10 BEST Restaurants Near Central Avenue in Albuquerque, NM I remember it being a rock/pop club that may have changed names. Just south of Route 66 in Albuquerques South Atrisco neighborhood, the chefs behind La Guelaguetza were named James Beard Award semifinalists for Best Chef: Southwest in 2022. Ha haI wasnt here thenWhat a sad sight today https://tinyurl.com/y7plazwf ! These were different from Ballrooms with Big Bands http://tinyurl.com/c3wwfv6 in that while you dined you could also dance between courses http://tinyurl.com/y2qol6h9 Great detective work, Gil! This article (circa 1990s) from the Washington Post may describe the pizza place youre asking about: In Albuquerque, N.M., diners can order pizza on a TV monitor at Nunzios drive-through restaurant. Bob, Becky, Tom, what thinkest thou? As I eat my way around the world, without leaving North America, I find that Thai food is hotter than New Mexican food. 16 Beloved Restaurants Only '70s Kids Will Remember Since then, a lot of clubs have become rock and roll clubs. But McLarty interjected, Yeah, but instead of being discos, all the live music clubs are Top Forty bands. The restaurant invented one of its most popular menu items, "tostada compuesta." Does anyone remember the name of a restaurant right by Cliffs amusement park that, during the 1980s, looked straight out of Miami Vice inside? Claim Jumper also gave it the old college try at that location, but it, too, failed. W R, Hi Monica; I have was driving by Mongomery and Tramway the other day and was also trying to remember the The sign for Smirolls was still lit. their version was 8.31 minutes which is known as an astronomical unit per being the time it takes for light to travel from the sun to earth!) Rest assured, though, both the band and the fans must expect much more than that. they were owned by Vics dad, Andy. Do you know the name of any of the Mystery clubs I've listed? Thank you! The Great American Steakhouse was over on Tramway. Next time youre feeling nostalgic for the past, check out one of these retro places in New Mexico. 1987-1994: 4: Dinner menu. Over the years, many businesses have come and gone at the shopping center. Are there any historic restaurants in NM? I am trying to remember the restaurant that was at the corner of Central and Rio Grande Blvd in old town. cant remember name of a punk club in the mid 80s. Enjoy it all in the market hall or on the sprawling patio. The earthen construction of the CIV with its similarity to that of the PIT should have indeed earned ABQ a place in the annals of architectural design and engineering. Just south of Hoffmantown, the Spaghetti Machine was built on Wyoming which I think was one of the original restaurants that went all out in decorating the walls (n rafters) with a lot of funky stuff. Ive contacted the New Mexico Restaurant Association (NMRA) and asked for the list of more than 200 restaurants that have closed permanently, but have not heard back. Signed by Thierry Rautureau, Dec. 17, 1994 . This weekly bagel pop-up started in 2021 by offering online orders for pickup outside a commissary kitchen, and it has since shifted to two standing weekend dates in downtown Albuquerque: Saturdays at Zendo Coffee and Sundays at Gravity Bound Brewing. There was an Italian restaurant on Vassar in the 80s. But as Hollywood exited the golden era, so did the Brown Derby, and by 1987 all four locations were closed. Mark Zanoni purchased Chez What in 1993. river stones and moored fishing boat in the water out back. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Frontier Restaurant ( 2400 Central Ave SE ), across from the University of New Mexico, has one of the best versions. Published: Monday, August 15th, 2011 at 12:05AMUpdated: Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 at 9:08AM. Alas Virginia! In this very cynical age, its heart-warming to be reminded how kind and gracious people can be. Do you remember any nightclubs from the 80s and 90s? So the band kept playing at Neds: expanding its repertoire, getting tighter, growing more comfortable on stage. She was so kind and caring, and we were just so thankful. Otherwise, Id never heard of Mark n Dire Straitseven tho they sold over 100 million!as I wasnt into Rock of that era. Elsewise on Rio Grandeof that erawere delicious, but staid Maria Teresa, now an event center for Hotel ABQ; Las Mananitas https://tinyurl.com/w4ancpcand El or Al Monte, now a business office.Just for funjust south of that Italian place, across Route 66, take Rio Grande to take a right on New York and the left on Gallup to this oddity:https://tinyurl.com/v7rjwfjaka, a real Shoe Tree and the only one in ABQ to the best of my knowledge. OMG SuzanneThank you sooo much as well as Gil for solving the Name mystery! Of course, many of these places are gone now. Gil, I get a kick out of looking at old photos of the weird, often food-shaped, restaurants that historically characterized the American landscape so I was curious about what Nunzios looked like. Was there an ad with a singing toaster and the phase pop on in? Searching for mom & pop restaurants in New Mexico? The restaurant is over 50 years old and nearly all of its charm has been . Were the 2 restaurants associated somehow other than being in the same building? Thanks for all the great reminiscences. (Sorry, name is too beckoning to miss!) OMG, old Coronado had a sliver of a space for an Orange Julius with its most yummy of cheeseburgers per dripping into the plastic baskets that held the great fries! Ellenberger, flashy and famous, had his own table there, had his own sandwich: the Stormin Norman, a meaty melange of turkey, ham, pastrami, green chile, Swiss and cheddar.. Between that short street and I-25 was the restaurant with the pond and big fountain thats now the location of a big gas station. Although Al Monte was an Albuquerque institution, theres surprisingly very little information online about it. that was open in October of 88. By the way, 108 Rio Grande, N.W. It was an easy way to keep track of the state of the NM restaurant scene (unscientifically). On Aug. 5, he invited 30 of his Facebook friends to join his new page. The song Why Worry is one of my very favorites, but not necessarily the Dire Straits version. Owner Cherie Montoya entered the spotlight 10 years ago serving new American dishes with locally sourced touches, like a New Mexico rib-eye with radish, potatoes, eggplant, garlic, and sumac. About 60 years ago, my parents used to take us to this restaurant on east Central (south side of the street) called Bobs. I had the same thought, Dale. Im in Sydney now. THE 10 BEST Restaurants Near Main Event Entertainment )[~ Speaking of horses, just got this https://tinyurl.com/pxrm7jd4 for a G-Daughters upcoming B-Day. Once Upon A Time In Albuquerque - Albuquerque Journal Thank you! Heres an excerpt from a column by the great Joline Gutierrez Krueger of the Albuquerque Journal: I was not yet a Lobo, nor a college hoops fan. There are some wonderful online resources that will evoke nostalgia among those of us who grew up in the Duke City. Joe. Even had it been made with horse meat, it was one of the best burgers Id ever had, one I remember even today. That was way before my time, but maybe BOTVOLR would remember it. Several standout corners along the areas Central Avenue that sat vacant even before the pandemic are now buzzing with some of the best bars and restaurants that the city and the country has to offer. In todays society where things are controversial or bad, when the news is not always good, when life seems a little more controlled and full of rules, we need to those memories. It doesnt look like Landrys was associated with Outback, but the prior occupant, Carrabbas is. I Thought it was Ralphies or Ralphs Fish N Chips.. then there was a Shaky pizza there too. Excellent Steak! Anybody recall? Oops Pete, ya forgot there was also the original location of the Japanese Kitchen thereabouts which later moved across the street. Okay 1976 the Three Thieves opened in South Santa Fe near highway 14 and I-25. Beyond the Ordinary, later called Underground Nation - Punk rock bar, Downtown on Central and 2nd-ish. Ive had other brain freezes like that, and maybe youve had a few of your own: Where did that drive-in movie theater used to be? Notice the saddles, lassos, taxidermy and a striking steer-horn chandelier among the paraphernalia on display. Should the NMRA provide the list, Ill publish it. People started inviting other friends, he said. After the premier opening reception, there was nothing like being treated to Phils second love, an In-n-Out Burger!!! Sawmill Market is the largest food hall in Albuquerque, and it was the first of its kind when it opened in March 2020. In the mid to late 1980s there was a family run restaurant on Wyoming almost or on the corner with Montgomery. Add to wishlist. Alas, caveman munching at recently spawned seafood boil venues is fun, while my order of Kids Claws for the past 10ish years as served by the same bartenders at Red Lobster, keeps me in good stead. There is a comment display rule I can change if readers request it. And then people I didnt know who saw our posts asked to join..
Pottery Barn Distribution Center Locations, Articles A